Marsh lined almost the entire waterfront of the Highland Park area in Benjamin Manning's 1790 map (color and callouts added). There was no bridge, only a ferry, and Johnson and Donaldson Parks were exceptionally broad patches of marsh, one to each side of the "Devil’s Elbow"—our river bend and its cliff. The Native Plant Reserve of today sits atop filled land, presumably also part of the original marshes, and marked on the map by "This bar bare at low water."

go right Back to News